The first time I ever ate a jalapeno pepper certainly made an impression. It was the early nineties and I was six years old. We had a huge garden that summer with corn, pattypan squash (yumm, one of my favorites), tomatoes, and. . . . you might've guessed, jalapenos. Enter one of my cousins, who with a twinkle in his eye (which should have been a clue) and hard-to-conceal grin, said, "Here, try this. You'll like it!"
An hour later, my mouth, hands, and eyes were still burning, and I vowed to never go near the evil things again. That was a vow that didn't last long, because I found out they're actually delicious.
Which brings us to these babies. Jalapenos, bacon (you can never go wrong with bacon, am I right?), cream cheese, AND feta cheese. Oh, I'm all about them.
1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
1 (6 oz) package of crumbled feta cheese
2 - 3 green onions, chopped
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Bacon, cut into three to four inch pieces
Tip: It's best to wear disposable gloves while working with the jalapenos, but if you don't and your hands are burning afterwards try rubbing them with olive oil and then washing it off.
1) Start off with jalapenos. Cut each one in half. Remove the seeds and membranes by scooping them out with a small spoon. Now, set them aside.
2) Chop the green onions. Then, in a small bowl combine the softened cream cheese, feta, green onions, salt, and pepper.
3) Fill each jalapeno half with a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture.
4) Wrap a bacon piece around each pepper and hold in place by sticking a toothpick through it.
5) Cook on the grill until the bacon is browned.
Tip: If the bacon on the bottom is browned before the top, simply remove the peppers and finish them off in an on broil until the bacon on top is browned.
I made these on the 4th and completely forgot to take a nice, pretty picture of these guys until after I'd already fixed my plate and started eating. There were only a few left by then, so, until I make these again, this will have to do:
But I will be making them very soon. Definitely.